Subject: Re: -current snapshot on 3000-300XL
To: Josef Watzko <josef.watzko@A1plus.at>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/12/2000 15:32:13
On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Josef Watzko wrote:
>Fast Ethernet Turbochannel Card does not exist.
>To use the FDDI you need a FDDI Switch/Concentrator at your hub.
>Do not expect a fast System with the DEC3000/300XL, this is the very
>low end of Alpha.

  Yes it's a low-end Alpha, and sure it can't touch something like a DS10...but
I must state that I'm running several 3000/300 machines, and they're capable
of truly amazing amounts of work.  I call that a bargain!

  I don't know what it is about those little machines...but they just won't
quit.  One of them is serving two 200+ recipient mailing lists each with 50-100
msgs/day *and* doing mail relaying for about two dozen machines *and* runs
Apache with about eight virtual hosts with moderate traffic.  It's not breaking
a sweat.

  Wait, I DO know what it is!  It's NetBSD/alpha!!  Good work, guys...I haven't
said it enough recently...this OS kicks much ass.  It enables even older/more
affordable machines to do real, serious work.  Kudos!!

                  -Dave McGuire