Subject: Re: panic while extracting pkgsrc.tar.gz
To: Joe <joe@team7.cba.ualr.edu>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/29/1999 12:40:08
Something like this should very definitely not happen on a fresh lightly
loaded system that has been correctly started, etc..

What's your disklabel setup? I would suspect, in the following order of
likelihood

	Bad disklabel (overlapping partitions)
	Bad fstab (missing entries to cause fsck to be run)
	Improper shutdown that somehow missed the 'clean' bit
	Possible wierdness with IDE DMA
	'Other' 1.4.X bugs

I'd approach this from the point of:

	Check the files/labels/etc.
	Install the latest snapshot, or at least a kernel from same
	If you have a SCSI controller/disk that's bootable, try that