Subject: RE: compat_osf1 troubles with 1.4.1
To: 'Kevin P. Neal' <kpneal@pobox.com>
From: Tom Haapanen <tomh@metrics.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/28/1999 07:38:04
>> OK, I throw my hands up and plead for help.

> I've tried installing the FP extensions.
> I didn't throw up my hands and plead for help, I mearly threw up. This
> was on HP-UX 9.05 and Solaris 2.5.1, but the principle is the same.
> [...]
> It wasn't pretty.

No, they are not pretty.  In fact, the extensions are not pretty on NT,
even.  But unfortunately they are the nicest way of enabling GUI-friendly
web site management for the Windows world, so I'd really like to get them
working.

>> usr/local/frontpage/version4.0/bin/fpsrvadm.exe: No such file or
directory

> Do you have /usr/local/frontpage pointing as a symlink to the location
> you have the tools installed (or do you have them installed in
> /usr/local/frontpage)? Does that executable exist?

The tools actually exist in /usr/local/frontpage; and I get the same error
either from the FP install script or by running them in the current
directory.

> Did the fpsrvadm.exe actually run? What files did it attempt to open?
> Don't bother with the documentation, last time I checked it sucked so
> hard I had to do a parallel install on Solaris because HP-UX (*spit*)
> didn't have system call tracing. NetBSD does, so use ktrace/kdump to
> figure out what it's trying to find.

> Looks fine. Repeat after me: "System call tracing is my friend."

System call tracing is your friend.  I had completely forgotten that it
existed, even.  If I had remembered, I could have definitely saved some
troublehooting time in the past.  (Long time on BSD, since 4.2 in the
mid-80s ... but never actually used them before.)

Anyway, this is what I get from ktrace:
ktrace: exec of '/usr/local/frontpage/version4.0/bin/fpsrvadm.exe' failed:
No such file or directory

and kdump tells me that ...
 21939 ktrace   RET   ktrace 0
 21939 ktrace   CALL  execve(0x1fffff89b,0x1fffff3c0,0x1fffff3d0)
 21939 ktrace   RET   execve -1 errno 2 No such file or directory
 21939 ktrace   CALL  write(0x2,0x1ffffead0,0x8)
[...]

Is that ktrace failing to file (yes, it really is there), or fpsrvadm.exe
attempting to do an execve and failing?  (Also looked at the file with
strings(1), and could not find any hardcoded paths in it.  But it's a fairly
large file, so I could have missed something.)

Very very strange ...

-----
Tom Haapanen
tomh@metrics.com