Subject: Re: how to make bootable?!
To: None <nmanisca@vt.edu, port-alpha@netbsd.org, ross@random.teraflop.com>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/21/1999 17:33:38
> From: nm <nmanisca@vt.edu>
>
> I'm really in need of making a NetBSD/alpha bootable
> cdrom with a CDR drive.  I want to put the 1.4.1
> distro on it and beable to install and boot from it...
>
> anyone with any tips?  The install.txt file doesnt
> go over how to do this with a cd...
>
> one problem is that my cdr drive is in a windows
> machine... anyway to make an iso file that could be
> booted?

Use mkhybrid from pkgsrc. I like to use cdrecord and burn CD's under NetBSD,
but your windows program will probably work. Ignore any "bootable" stuff
in the windows program.  You need /usr/mdec/boot and a kernel in the CD's
/ directory. The kernel you want is probably the instkernel from the
distribution, and it can be a .gz image. (You can also add a GENERIC with
a different name for use with "boot -n -file ...".)

In -current, you would then run installboot(8) and tell it to put
/usr/mdec/bootxx_cd9660 "in" the label and bootsector.

IIRC, 1.4.1 works the same way.