Subject: Re: Q: Compaq, *BSD and 'Linux-only' AlphaBIOS (fwd)
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/05/1999 20:50:30
> On Sun, 05 Dec 1999 16:57:19 -0800
>  Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
>
>  > It sounds like the UP1000 may be based on the AMD 751 chipset.  I'm not
>  > too impressed with these in the K7 application yet (they seem to have
>  > overheating problems), so it will be interesting to see how they go with
>  > the Alpha.  If that's the part they're using, there'll be almost no work
>  > involved in making the UP1000 work.
>
> ...except, of course, for the PALcode issue.

Well, that's their problem, not ours.

However, let's clarify things here.

Alpha Processor Inc. have a number of products, and there appears to be
some confusion here.

  UP2000	AlphaBIOS only
  UP1000	AlphaBIOS only
  264DP		AlphaBIOS and SRM
  164LX		AlphaBIOS and SRM
  164UX		AlphaBIOS only

This is based on their website; their FTP server doesn't want to let me
in for whatever reason.  Based on this, my original comments about the
UP2000 stand; there appears to be no OSF PALcode (since there's no SRM),
and thus we face the originally-described set of challenges in running on
it.