Subject: Re: Q: Compaq, *BSD and 'Linux-only' AlphaBIOS (fwd)
To: Tom Haapanen <tomh@metrics.com>
From: Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/05/1999 10:22:39
> > If you know something I don't about Alpha Processor Inc's machines, I'd
> > love to hear it.  They are only shipping AlphaBIOS, since there is MILO
> > code for their systems.
>
> With the death of NT on Alpha, that also makes their boxes Linux only,
> right?  With SRM, they would be able to support not only *BSD, but also
> Tru64.

It doesn't look like they're terribly interested in that at the moment,
but our relationship isn't yet far enough along to tell one way or
another.

> Does API listen to requests?  Is there hope of convincing them to provide
> SRM support?

They would have to pay Compaq to develop and license it, which they may
not like very much.  We'll be exploring the options here as we get to
know the API guys better; right now we're just getting communications
established.