Subject: Re: Q: Compaq, *BSD and 'Linux-only' AlphaBIOS (fwd)
To: None <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/04/1999 20:52:57
On Sat, 4 Dec 1999 17:29:35 -0800 (PST)
 Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> wrote:

 > Nope, but I can't speak for their choices or business model. Do they have
 > a machine that is an absolute *must have* for *BSD?

It's not clear that it's really Samsung/API's choice, actually.

As I recall, before Compaq bought DEC, DEC wanted to make sure that
no company except DEC could produce an Alpha system capable of running
Digital UNIX.  Hence "no SRM for the Samsung boards".

Yet another example of DEC having their head in the wrong place, I
suppose.

Maybe Compaq will have a better attitude towards the whole thing (sell
more Tru64 licenses!).