Subject: Re: Q: Compaq, *BSD and 'Linux-only' AlphaBIOS (fwd)
To: Lord Isildur <isildur@guild.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/03/1999 18:21:21
Lord Isildur writes:

[...]
> certainly, if anyone _needs_ to use BSD with MILO for some strange reason,
> it'd be better to modify MILO than BSD.

Ok, stupid question..  Is it possible to build a 'boot' for NetBSD that
can be loaded by MILO, and have this boot then load the kernel?  Rather
than hacking MILO to load the kernel directly, or hacking the kernel to
be loadable directly?  After all, isn't 'boot' responsible for reading in
the kernel, and starting it?  The differences between SRM devices and MILO
devices should be hidden from the kernel.

For the average Joe, using the ARC/AlphaBIOS menus to setup booting Linux
and/or BSD, etc isn't so bad.  Also, the ARC console can boot from some
NCR controllers that the SRM can't, etc.  Hmm, I wonder if the ARC firmware
supports additional video cards also?

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.