Subject: Re: Of course, a third quesiton
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Eric Schnoebelen <eric@cirr.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/01/1999 09:30:09
Andrew Gillham writes:
- Eric Schnoebelen writes:
- > 	My guess here would be that it shows up as PCI device ID
- > 0x10000005 (the 53c810AP) intead of 0x10000001 (the 53c810.)
- > (these numbers come from sys/dev/pci/pcidevs.)
-
- Yes, I'm assuming something like this is happening.  It is not that big
- of a problem, as I'm currently using an IDE drive anyway.  Still, it
- would be nice to have a SCSI controller that the SRM can boot.  When I
- bought this one I wasn't sure if it would be a SYM53C810 or 'A', so I
- was gambling anyway. :)

	Corporate Systems center has a 53c810 controller available
for about $40/ea. I've got one, but I'm not fully satisified with
it.. It seems that I get machine checks when using the controller
in my PC64. (I've changed motherboards, ethernet controllers,
memory, everything but the SCSI host adapter, and I still get the
same machine checks in the same place..)

	Tekram supposably offers a 53c810 controller in their DC310
product.  However, I've not been able to find any through normal
retail channels (every time I order one, I receive a DC315, which
uses a Tekram S1040 engine, and no, its not an ISP1040 clone, at
least, not to SRM or NetBSd.. :-()

	I did find a lot the DC310's at Auction on OnSale yesterday,
and bought 5.  I'll see if they do any better.. :-)

	FYI: I see 39 or so available at the egghead/OnSale Surplus
site (http://www.egghead.com/category/inv/00049167/02258194.htm)
and another batch at auction on the auction side of the site
(http://www.egghead.com/category/inv/00049180/02212315.htm)

--
Eric Schnoebelen		eric@cirr.com		http://www.cirr.com
  Vampireware; n, a project capable of sucking the lifeblood out of anyone