Subject: Re: SRM
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@isc.org>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/17/1999 09:02:01
On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Ted Lemon wrote:

> SRM is the boot monitor - the thing that you type commands to before
> the operating system is running.   When it starts up, you'll see that
> it actually prints SRM followed by a version number.   Assuming you
> have SRM on your Alpha, of course - there's another boot monitor for
> booting Windows NT, whose name escapes me at the moment.   If you have
> that, then you unfortunately can't boot NetBSD.

That's ARC - I believe that's what Linux uses to boot as well.

I forgot to mention that - since the SRM is stored in flash, it can be
upgraded/overwritten by other firmware.  The only two which exist AFAIK
are the SRM and ARC.

-Jon Lindgren
 "Xyzzy!  You're a duck!"
 jlindgren@espus.com, yubyub@yubyub.net