Subject: Re: Floppy and EB164's
To: None <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/05/1999 14:23:59
Matthias Drochner writes:

> gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com said:
> > It appears that 'netboot' fails if the dhcp response is too large, I
> > have to comment out a number of things to get it to work. (router/dns,
> > etc)
>
> Are you sure the "netboot" is compiled with DHCP support?
> You get 312 bytes of option space then, not easy to use
> it up.

Your point is correct.  I misspoke.  What I meant to say was that
netboot seems to fail when the *BOOTP* response from ISC dhcpd is too large.
So I don't mean to suggest netboot is actually using DHCP, but that I
am using the dhcpd to service my DHCP and BOOTP clients.  I can't
claim the failure is really in netboot, if the dhcpd is sending back an
invalid BOOTP packet or something.  Without a tcpdump of the problem I
can't really comment, other than to say it fails. :-)

I will try to capture the BOOTP packets for a failed boot, and a successful
one.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.