Subject: Re: Floppy and EB164's
To: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/05/1999 10:22:39
Michael L. Hitch writes:

 > > No, it's apparently a bug in this SRM.  I haven't yet followed up
 > > carefully to find out exactly which versions are known good and bad,
 > > but it's known that stepping down a rev or two fixes this problem.
 >
 > I had this problem on my PC164.  I tried SRM 5.3, 5.4, and 5.5 with no
 > luck.  On my PC164, every time the SRM initialized (power on, init
 > command), it would get an ISA table corrupt error, which would wipe out
 > the saved environment.

I/we don't get anything about "isa table corrupt".  It just forgets
things sometimes.

Not every time.  Sometimes it hangs instead of going back to the ">>>"
prompt when I "halt" NetBSD. Oddly, it seems when it hangs it's *less*
likely to forget it's settings than if it returns to the SRM prompt
before the box is powered off.

There's also other strange stuff going on with the vga scrolling; SRM
sometimes looks like it's stuck in a vt100 scrolling region somewhere
in the middle of the screen.

 > I found a 4.9 version of SRM, and after "updating" to that, the ISA
 > table corrupt error went away, and the SRM settings didn't
 > disappear.  That version wouldn't boot off the IDE driver though,
 > so I went back to 5.4 (losing settings wasn't as bad as not being
 > able to boot :-)).  After all that, I no longer got the ISA table
 > corrupt messages and the SRM would remember the settings through a
 > reset or init.

Will try this trick; thanks.

--
Dan.