Subject: Re: XFree86 on NetBSD/alpha
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/22/1999 09:29:43
> > These are ATX boards, but I think they do need a special power supply.
> > Maybe someone knows what kind of power supplies actually work ...
>
> "Need" is a strong word.
>
> A pair of good tweezers and some electrical tape on the ATX power
> connector is all that's necessary to make a standard ATX power supply
> work. You probably want to go out of your way to find one with an
> additional hard (not software-mediated) power switch, though.

An alternative kludge which worked for me since i couldn't find an ATX
supply with a hard power switch on short notice.

 - get an ATX power extender -- a 6' cable with ATX M and ATX F power
connectors (so you don't have to do surgery on then ATX power supply
harness itself)
 - get a pushbutton toggle switch the same size as the pushbutton
momentary contact switch on your ATX case.  (I had one lying around --
I replaced an AT power supply a year or so ago and it came with a
spare pushbutton toggle switch..)
 - cut & strip the appropriate wires in the power extender, and twist
together the cut ends of each piece with a third wire roughly a foot
or two long (I soldered these connections), creating two "T" connections..
 - attach the other end of each wire to the toggle switch.
 - attach the toggle switch to the case in place of the momentary
contact switch.

.. and, voila, your pc164 uses a "normal-looking" power switch..

					- Bill