Subject: PC164 - floppy not working
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew van der Stock <ajv@greebo.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/22/1999 23:09:35
I've got my Alpha >< this close to being ready. My Millennium I comes up
with a graphical console, and my el cheapo kb and mouse (total cost
$AUD35, about $US22.75) work just fine too.

The main thing is that I can't access the floppy as dva0. I tried
plugging the cable around the other way, and that simply makes the
floppy light come on from boot, so I powered down and changed it back
the way I thought it was supposed to be. But now the floppy light don't
come on, and sys_exer can't do things with it, and boot dva0 says it
"failed to open dva0.0.0.0.1"

There's a twist in the cable before the end, and there's a 3.5 and 5.25"
connectors in the middle. I'm plugged into the end 3.5" connector. In
the meantime I'm going to try it from the middle connector.

Also, the isacfg command always says the ISA table is corrupt. I'll
replace the battery tomorrow to see if that helps. But if that fails, is
there anything I can do to make it happy?

I've just about figured out the ewa0 device settings for a net boot, and
I think I'll try bootstrapping my box that way.

Andrew