Subject: RE: XFree86 on NetBSD/alpha
To: 'tls@rek.tjls.com' <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Tom Haapanen <tomh@metrics.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/21/1999 22:57:41
>> ... or a 164SX motherboard.  533 MHz variants cost less than a Celeron,
>> and work beautifully, even with IDE.  (Unfortunatel availability is
rather
>> spotty...)

> They cost less than a Celeron?  At $200 for the Celeron and motherboard,
> that'd be tough...

Sorry, should have been more specific.  Less than a Celeron 400 (about $100
including the extra bits you need) plus an ASUS P2B ($125).  And, yes, I
paid under $200 each for the last two 164SX/533 boards I bought.  And I have
the happy feeling of running NetBSD on DEC Alpha hardware.  :-)

Now, this weekend, I need to get NetBSD 1.4 onto an AlphaStation 4/233.
Should be easy by now, but we'll see ...

P.S. There is a lot of six AlphaServer 4000 motherboards (210264/400), going
for $1000 right now.  Seems ideal for a group purchase ..

-----
Tom Haapanen -- Software Metrics Inc. -- Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Advanced Printing Solutions for Windows NT -- http://www.metrics.com/