Subject: Re: tga graphic cards
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/19/1999 10:29:20
> I think I've secured a spare AlphaPC164 to look into this a bit more
> seriously.  If I recall (without checking up in the archives), the
> problems with XFree86 have been "we (NetBSD) don't just want to make
> the VGA card look like a PC to XFree like some other Un*x clones do,
> we want a nice MI interface"?

I've never understood why NetBSD persists in trying to use XFree86 on
non-x86 machines.  It seems to me that this is exactly the problem
here: you're using an X server designed for x86 machines on a non-x86
machine, and having trouble because the hardware and the software don't
get along.  This makes about as much sense to me as trying to use the
Mac version of SoftPC on a Sun and getting upset when it doesn't work.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca