Subject: Re: AXPpci-33: kernel stack not valid halt...
To: None <Marc.Gutschner@Frankfurt.NetSurf.DE>
From: Marc.Gutschner <marc@Frankfurt.NetSurf.DE>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/05/1999 23:22:42
On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Marc.Gutschner wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>
> >  "Marc.Gutschner" <marc@Frankfurt.NetSurf.DE> wrote:
> >
> [...]
> >  >
> >  > 	Jumping to bootstrap code
> >  >
> >  > 	NetBSD/alpha 1.4.1 Primary Boot +
> >  > 	+.
> >  > 	Jumping to entry point
> >  >
> >  > 	halted CPU0
> >  > 	halt code = 2
> >  > 	kernel stack not valid halt
> >  > 	PC=d6af60d3ca0794c0
> >
> > ...if that's really what the PC is, then something is Very Very Wrong.

[...]
> I'll keep up trying the remaining images until I can pin-point it to the
> boot code on the 1.4.1 floppies ;-)

Ok, now that I successfully booted the Install-floppy set for 1.4 I'm
somewhat certain that there _might_ have been some changes in the boot
code when going from 1.4 to 1.4.1... The kernel came up and seemd to
detect all my devices properly.

The only strange thing was that the LED on my hub went on when
'ifconfig'uring the 3C905B, but 'ifconfig' told me that cards status was
something like "no carrier detected"... I'll try a different NIC as soon
as I've downloaded the 1.4 binary sets. I think that I can live with
installing 1.4 for the moment, yet I think it would be interesting to find
out if the 1.4.1 install images are hosed or if it's some "buglet" in the
boot code.

Thanks to all of you for your help - that's why I prefer *BSD over a
"commercial" OS! Even at 23:00 CEST one can find helpful support people
:-)

bye for now - going to download some megs...
Marc