Subject: Re: AXPpci-33: kernel stack not valid halt...
To: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Marc.Gutschner <marc@Frankfurt.NetSurf.DE>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/05/1999 21:01:11
On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> This has been happening for over a  year on the 8200.

Uh! This doesn't really sound encouraging :-/ In the meantime I've done
some - uh - experiments with FreeBSD/alpha (boots all the way to sysinst)
and (yuck!) Linux (boots up to the point where it tries to mount '/'). So
now I'm pretty sure my problem is not (at least not obviously) hardware
related...

Currently I'm sucking down all available floppy images from different
releases just to see if this makes any difference. I gave the 1.4.1
floppies another try and here is a manual transcript of what happens:

	AXPpci Common Console X4.7-1860 built on Nov 1 1996 at 06:00:01
	>>> boot dva0
	[mumbling about finding a valib boot block etc.pp.]

	base=110000, image_start=0, image_bytes=1e00
	initializing HWRPB at 2000
	initializing page table at 102000
	initializing machine state
	setting affinity to the primary CPU

	Jumping to bootstrap code

	NetBSD/alpha 1.4.1 Primary Boot +
	+.
	Jumping to entry point

	halted CPU0
	halt code = 2
	kernel stack not valid halt
	PC=d6af60d3ca0794c0

Is this info useful to anybody? I would love to get NetBSD on this box
since the rest of my (non-Intel) machine zoo (vax, hp300, SPARC, pmax)
also runs NetBSD :-)

Thanks for any help,
Marc