Subject: Re: AXPpci-33: kernel stack not valid halt...
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@dingo.ping.net.au>
From: Marc Gutschner <Marc.Gutschner@triplan.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/05/1999 14:27:50
Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:

> Marc Gutschner wrote
> >
> > Hi all!

[...]
> >       kernel stack not valid halt
> >       PC=0
> >
> > This may not be the exact wording of the message, but the machine is
> > currently at home and I am not :-)

[...]
> My suggestion would be to check the SRM console version and, if needed,
> upgrading to the latest version available from the ftp.digital.com
> (5.4 by memory which also contains a console for AXPpci (noname)

Mhhm, I've downloaded the (seemingly) most recent SRM firmware from
DECpaq and flashed the EEPROM since this beasties had (yuck!) ARC
firmware on them... The PROM now tells me something about beeing Version
X4.7 (IIRC), the file itself is called 'decaxppci33_v1_6.{exe|sys}' and
it was contained in some directory called 'v5.5' So much for DEC and
their way of confusing customers :-/

I just checked again and found another file in the same directory with
what appears to be an earlier revision level
('decaxppci33_v1_5.{sys|exe}'). Might this help? Well, experience tells
me that 'bleeding edge' is sometime not exactly where one wants to be
:-)

> BTW: I am using second hand 15ns cache chips from old Intel
> motherboards which shouldn't cost you anything... Just look around at
> a computer recycler... ;)

Mhhmm... I have enough 'vintage hardware' in the basement but I doubt
I'll be able to come up with 11 identical chips...

--
mfG,
Marc Gutschner

#include <std_disclaimer.h>
| TRIPLAN Ingenieur GmbH    |                           |
| Auf der Krautweide 32     |                           |
| Tel.  +49 / 6196 / 6092-0   Fax   +49 / 6196 / 21604  |