Subject: AlphaPC 164SX AlphaBIOS to SRM conversion
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Joey Knight <jknight@wyle.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/01/1999 14:37:36
Hi,

Can anyone offer advice/experience with the following situation?  I'm been
suffering through this dilemma for some time, and I've run out of ideas . .
. Thanks!

>>>I am trying desperately to convert an AlphaPC 164SX motherboard from
>>>AlphaBIOS to SRM, but to no avail.  The AlphaPC 164SX only has room for one
>>>console image, and I need it to be SRM.  I have tried EVERYTHING to convert
>>>the image, but nothing seems to work.  I have tried:
>>>
>>>1)  Downloading the Alpha Firmware v5.5 SRM image from Digital's
firmware website, >>>following
>>>the instructions in the release notes to upgrade via the
>>>"Upgrade AlphaBIOS . . ." selection.  Upon hitting the enter key at this
point >>>(with the downloaded "fwupdate.exe" in the floppy drive), the
system accesses the >>>floppy for some
>>>time, and then just hangs . . .
>>>
>>>2)  Obtaining the SRM image straight from v5.4 and v5.1 CDs to a floppy in
>>>case the v5.5 image was corrupted in the transfer, or in case the v5.5
>>>"fwupdate.exe" was corrupted off the website.  The system still hangs
via the strategy mentioned above . . .

>>>3)  Upgrading to the latest AlphaBIOS version (v5.66), which worked just
>>>fine, and then trying to upgrade to SRM via the strategy mentioned
above.  Nope.

>>>4)  Booting the motherboard in "Fail-safe" mode and accessing the LFU in
>>>this manner.  Unfortunately, it doesn't offer me the choice of upgrading to
>>>SRM, it just mentions that the AlphaBIOS image can't be found once I type
>>in
>>>"update" at the "UPD>" prompt.  I attempted to get around this by
downloading "sx164_v5_5.sys" from the web and using "update fw -path
dva0:sx164_v5_5.sys" . . The LFU reads the floppy for about 30 seconds and
then mentions that the image is "bad".  I tried downloading the
"sx164srm.rom" file from the AlphaPC 164 (not 164SX) firmware spot, and
tried pointing LFU to this file, still "bad image".  Of course, this latter
strategy might not work anyway since this wasn't the 164SX rom image per
sae, but rather the 164 image, but I'm trying anything at this point . . .

>>>Any direction would be MUCH appreciated,
>>>
>>>Joey
jknight@wyle.com
972-664-7731