Subject: Re: A few questions... ??
To: None <CaptnZilog@aol.com, wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/27/1999 20:54:55
> From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
>
> As CaptnZilog@aol.com wrote ...
> > I recently aquired (getting tossed at work) an Alpha axp150 CPU & monitor,
> > and was trying to get NetBSD booted on it (it has WindozeNT on it right
> > now)...  I'm having some problems and was wondering:
> >
> > 1)  I switched to the right loader, but does it matter whether the OS_TYPE
> > flag is set to OSF or VMS???

Ha! Good question. I suppose either one loads SRM. It's the boot blocks that
deal with palcode selection (and start up with the VMS palcode running
anyway :-), so I suppose the answer is "no, as long as it's one of those".

> > 2)  I created the two floppies on my PC, and put the 1st one in the Alpha
> > drive (it happens to be a 2.88M floppy drive).  It accesses the drive on a
> > cold boot, and accesses it if I do a "SHOW DEV", and does show me the
> > floppy... but if I try to do a "BOOT DVA0", I get an "84 FAIL" message (and
> > the floppy never seems to get accessed, like its not even trying).
> > Suggestions/Ideas?
>
> Jensen's cannot boot from floppy using their SRM console. Really practical
> (not!).
>
> > SRM version is 1.6.  I'm downloading "Nero" as we speak, and I'm going to try
> > and burn a CD of the "cdhd" image to see if I can boot it that way, but it
> > would be nice to know I can floppy boot it.
>
> Don't bother. None of the free *BSDs work with Jensen's (unless some
> secret work has been done, which I doubt).
>
> Wilko (eyeing his Jensen gathering dust ;-)

Oh well. One of these days...it's one of the few older ones we don't do.
I built one not too long ago, but haven't started the port yet.

	ross.harvey@computer.org