Subject: Re: New promise driver and Alpha...
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Andreas Johansson <ajo@wopr.campus.luth.se>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/21/1999 17:33:26
On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> > >This patch should be in -current I think. Are you sure it's not crashing
> > >in another way ?
> >
> > No, but I'm pretty sure it's the same thing; Machine Check 1 or something
> > like that.  I can rebuild and poke at it.
>
> With a new kernel do you see if you get 4 pciide attached to the cypress
> controller ? This was the problem with the initial promise driver.
>
> As far as I can tell the code to deal with this is still here ...

You are talking about different patches.

There is one problem with 4 cypress interfaces which makes the kernel
freeze up at some point while booting. I don't know if this is fixed or
not, but in my personal kernel I've hardcoded the pciide devices in my
config to fix this.

There is another problem as well, regarding PCI I/O addresses, which is
alpha specific. The firmware maps the promise device on pci I/O addresses
above 0xffff. Unfortunately NetBSD can't read/write from/to the registers
of the device, resulting in a machine check. The patch this fellow is
talking about changed the I/O addresses for the promise in the pciide
driver to addresses below 0x10000, but this is just an ugly fix. A real
solution to this problem should be found, and I've sent a PR on this.

/Andreas