Subject: Re: Making a boot floppy
To: Andrew F. Seila <andy@ms.terry.uga.edu>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/13/1999 20:13:27
I have a similar setup on my AS200, as it can only boot from its
narrow SCSI but I have all of the "interesting" drives on wide.
What I did was compile a custom kernel that has

config          netbsd  root on sd0 type ffs

(As well as wiring down all of my disks, the narrow scsi disk is
wired to the highest number...)

Creating the boot floppy, well...  I'd imagine that it is something
like:

disklabel it, newfs it, then:
mount it to ${MOUNT_POINT}
cp /usr/mdec/boot to it
installboot -v ${MOUNT_POINT}/boot /usr/mdec/bootxx <the raw dev>

You can look in src/distrib/alpha to see how the install floppies
get created, although they do a lot more work than you really want
as all you need is a kernel with the config line above in it.

Watch out for Multia Heat Death Syndrome:
http://www.NetBSD.ORG/Ports/alpha/multiafaq.html
I just sort of heat sinked mine...

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==