Subject: Making a boot floppy
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew F. Seila <andy@ms.terry.uga.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/13/1999 22:55:09
I have a multia with a floppy drive and an ide hard disk.  I have
installed NetBSD-1.4.1 on the hard disk, but the system will
not boot from the hard disk, so it seems that I have two choices:

1.  Setup the system to netboot, or

2.  Create a boot floppy and boot from the floppy.

I would prefer the latter solution.  However, I can't figure out how to do
it.  I can boot from the installation floppy, exit from sysinst and mount
the root directory from my hard disk on partition wd0a on /mnt and the
/usr directory on partition wd0d on /mnt/usr, so I have the entire
directory tree on /mnt.

My question is:  Given this setup, how do I create a bootable floppy?

I would like to create a bootable floppy with a generic kernel first just
to get things setup.  Then, I plan to compile a custom kernel.

Thanks for your help.

Andy Seila