Subject: WD/SMC (we) isa ethernet on alpha
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/13/1999 00:36:40
conf/ALPHA doesn't include the smc/wd isa ethernet card as one of the
"we support everything" devices.   I assume that's probably because
no-one had ever tested it.

If whoever is responsible would like to add that to the list of
devices supported by the alpha port, and to the ALPHA config file,
then go ahead.   I have used this combination, and it works fine (1.4
kernel) with no changes to anything at all (except adding it in the kernel
config file of course).   I'm actually using the setup that is usually
configured as we1 (on an i386), but called we0....

NetBSD 1.4 (LAVENDER) #17: Sun Sep 12 21:03:54 EST 1999
    kre@napolitana.cs.mu.OZ.AU:/usr/src/sys/arch/alpha/compile/LAVENDER
Digital AlphaPC 164 500 MHz, 500MHz
[....]
we0 at isa0 port 0x300-0x31f iomem 0xcc000-0xcffff irq 10
we0: WD8013EPC Ethernet (16-bit)
we0: Ethernet address 00:00:c0:0e:ae:4c

I believe the card installed is really an SMC Elite Ultra (it has
AUI, BNC, & UTP) but I'm not certain, and I doubt it matters.

kre