Subject: Re: DEC 3000 Firmware Upgrade
To: Ray Phillips <r.phillips@mailbox.uq.edu.au>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/08/1999 22:03:26
On Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 01:44:04PM +1000, Ray Phillips wrote:

> I'm about to try to install NetBSD on a DEC 3000 400 machine (which has a
> CD-ROM and a DAT drive but no floppy) and I'm wondering if upgrading to the
> latest firmware (version 7.0 according to
> http://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/readmes/dec3000.html) before
> I do the installation is wise.  I assume that the answer is 'Yes' but DEC's
> firmware release notes say that only some versions of Digital UNIX are
> compatible with each version of the firmware, and I was wondering if the
> same is true of NetBSD.

I Netboot NetBSD on my 3000/400s running SRM 7.0...  there's a little
gotcha for netbooting, which should have made its way back into the FAQ
by now, or if it hasn't, you can find it in the August archives under
the thread entitled "Installing on DEC 3000 - 600".

As far as booting locally, I haven't tried it yet...  :)

----
  Aaron J. Grier  | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofy.goof.com
    "[...] of all the port lists to grumble to about slow CPU speeds and
     other resource limitations, I'd imagine that port-vax is not a very
     good choice :-)"  --  Brian D. Chase