Subject: Re: problem with ufs fs under du and netbsd
To: None <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/02/1999 00:09:24
On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 07:37:37PM +0200, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> nmanisca@vt.edu said:
> > This fs was created under NetBSD 1.3.3.  I can mount this  fs under
> > Digital UNIX 4.0D but it says it's a dirty fs.  I found out the hard
> > way that if you fsck it under Digital UNIX you will destroy it :(
>
> I've played with this a while ago. What I found is that the DU fs
> looks like an old-style BSD fs. One can mount it from NetBSD,
> it will be recognized by the compatibility code. The other way
> doesn't work.
> It might be worth a try to create an old style fs with newfs -O
> on NetBSD and mount it from DU. (I didn't test it!)

This isn't perfect.

I've seen filesystems created on Digital UNIX 4.0 (no letter) go screwy
on NetBSD. Specifically, the root directory of the DU partition (I think
it was /usr) was (according to NetBSD) empty when it actually had lots
of files in it.

It started out OK, but as I did more stuff in DU it got worse on the
NetBSD side.

Seen on bottom of IBM part number 1887724:
DO NOT EXPOSE MOUSE PAD TO DIRECT SUNLIGHT FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME.