Subject: Decent SCSI card for AlphaStation 200?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/31/1999 01:05:35
So, I'm still using my AlphaStation 200 and need to add an Exabyte
8200 to it.

Problem is, that's a "SCSI-1" device. Adding it to my SCSI chain when
it already has six devices on it already seems like a bad idea
(although I am dropping that down to 4 in a couple of weeks). Compound
that by the fact that earlier tonight my box crashed with a mangled
dir in /var (running 1.4 release).

So, I need another SCSI bus. I prefer cheap but OK, but would be
thrilled to find a reaonably priced card understood by the SRM
and Digital UNIX 4. I've got a PCI slot or an ISA slot to burn.

On the high end there are, what, QLogic cards? Do they really have
cards that can do single-ended and differential? That'd be nice,
if only to make it that much easier to move to differential
sometime in the next year or two.

On the bottom end there are ISA cards I guess. That'd probably work
considering that 8200's are not very fast.

What's my best bet? Since I'm asking, what's a good place to buy
whatever is suggested (especially if anyone thinks QLogic cards are
a good idea)?

Thanks.

Seen on bottom of IBM part number 1887724:
DO NOT EXPOSE MOUSE PAD TO DIRECT SUNLIGHT FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME.