Subject: Re: PC164 memory bus speeed (was: pciide performance on alpha)
To: Simon Burge <simonb@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/14/1999 13:16:55
On Sat, 14 Aug 1999, Simon Burge wrote:
> Almost all of my results are with "gcc -O2", so I'm pretty sure the
> compiler isn't getting in the way.  The code seems to be relatively
> simple - just multiple traversals of a linked list.

Okay, just checking :) I was kinda disappointed with my PC164 until I
realized that I wasn't testing with the same compiler... now I'm just
disappointed with gcc ;) My K6-2 460MHz does compile stuff faster than
my alpha though...

> I'm talking a good couple of years (3+) ago.  I didn't know that there's
> one available now - do you have a URL or any details?

Ah, okay... they currently have an AlphaServer 1200 and a DS20 for
people to play with: http://www.testdrive.compaq.com/
Pretty cool of them to offer machines like that... I remember when the
Alpha first came out, they had an OSF/1 and VMS machine for people to
try. I seem to remember the VMS one was axpvms.cc.utexas.edu, which was
sort of strange... why host it at utexas? :) The OSF/1 one might've been
at axposf.pa.dec.com...
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 23 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++