Subject: Re: MySQL port / Thread libs, etc
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Peter Clark <ninjaz@webexpress.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/13/1999 18:58:08
Quoting Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>:

> First off, you're in the right place.

Good.

> On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Peter Clark wrote:
>
> Actually you do, just it's not obvious. The field with
"tv" in it is the
> username of the last person to modify the file. In
this case, Todd
> Vierling, tv@netbsd.org. But that's not necessarily
the right person to
> talk to as sometimes files are changed as part of an
overall change and
> not a package-specific one.
>
> Check the maintainer for the package, listed in the
Makefile. For this
> one, it's packages@netbsd.org. So I'd suggest asking
that address, or on
> tech-pkg as that's where most package stuff happens.

Okay, that makes sense. Looks like I missed the obvious
in the Makefile.  I see this explained now in the
Packages.txt file, too.

> I think you should just ignore ldconfig. It's an
a.out-ism. What you
> should be doing under ELF is teaching each of your
programs to look in
> /usr/local/lib. Well, the ones you install there. With
elf, you build the
> runtime library search path into the program. You
don't need ldconfig..

-rpath is no problem.  The main reason I want
/usr/local/lib to be searched by default is a matter of
convenience for ./configure scripts, as when they're
looking for libraries, they check the system search
paths, but I suppose that's where environmental
variables come in.

Thanks for the response. :)

			-pete