Subject: Re: booting hard disk for pc164
To: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/10/1999 00:33:52
In some email I received from Ross Harvey, sie wrote:
> > From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
> >
> > ok, so the install.txt file sucks, we all know that.
>
> It does?  What can we do to improve it?

I'll give you a clue.  Pretend you're a beginner and you want to
install NetBSD.  Given that you've got the "INSTALL.txt", you've
already retrieved the entire distribution.  Start reading.

If you're a good reader, you might get to the instructions about
installation within 5 minutes.  If you get fed up with the waffle
at the start then you've realized what the first big problem is.

Then actually try to follow the instructions given for installation,
word by word and see just how well you do - don't do anything the
installation document doesn't say (i.e. take in no prior knowledge
which must of us have).

btw, the above comments are necessarily specific to Alpha, I've noticed
the same problem in other port INSTALL.txt files that I've had the
misfortune of looking at.

Darren