Subject: Re: No go, system still hangs
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/09/1999 19:26:20
> From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
> Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 17:23:44 -0700
>
> On Sat, 07 Aug 1999 08:21:55 -0700
>  Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com> wrote:
>
>  > scc1 at ioasic0 offset 0x180000
>  >
>  >    The only thing that clears the hang is a power cycle. Any guesses?
>  > Theories? Wild speculations?
>
> This has got to be a FAQ by now...
>
> The 3000/xxx series only really supports serial console right now (at
> least in the GENERIC kernels, etc.; there is experimental frame buffer
> console support in the TCWSCONS kernel).
>
> The reason it appears to "hang" is that the kernel uses the PROM for console
> output until the serial driver is attached.

FWIW, I changed things last weekend to print "SWITCHING TO SERIAL CONSOLE!"
as the last line output to the fb display after the scc probe line
that people always thought it was hanging on. (I even pulled it up to 1.4.1
by sneaking it in on the rnd.c/profil(2) emergency-pullup coattails. :-)

It was a good simulation of an early system freeze up, wasn't it? <sigh>

        ross.harvey@computer.org