Subject: Re: Ok, I give... HELP! Please?
To: Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/09/1999 18:17:06
On Sat, 07 Aug 1999 21:55:40 -0700
 Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com> wrote:

 > 	I'll list the errors one at a time. First up:
 >
 > AMD 79c30 at ioasic0 offset 0x240000 device not configured

The 79c30 is not an Ethernet chip; it's the ISDN/audio chip.

 > 	Here's the one that really concerns me. The hard drive is dka300, and
 > here's what I get when NetBSD's SCSI probe tries to pick it up.
 >
 > probe(asc0:3:0): max sync rate 5.00Mb/s
 > asc0: illegal command: 0x42 (state 2, phase 3, prephase 1)
 > asc0: SCSI bus reset

This is more interesting.  Someone else reported a SCSI timing error to me,
which I haven not been able to track down nor reproduce.  I may be asking
your help (booting kernels, etc.)

 > scc1,0: silo overflow
 >
 > 	(In a word: Huh?)

An overflow occurred in the input path on the serial chip.  Not uncommon; the
SCCs on the DEC 3000s aren't very fast.

 > 	Perhaps the most disturbing message of all:
 >
 > WARNING: Can't figure out what device matches "SCSI 0 6 0 0 400 0 FLAMG-IO"
 >
 > 	Again... Huh?

Because it failed to find the SCSI disk, it wasn't able to determine the
boot device.

 > 	Can anyone tell me what in blazes is going on here? I thought the
 > 1.4/Alpha port was DEVELOPED on a 3000/600. Have I got too much RAM or what?

It was developed on a 3000/xxx machine (a 3000/400, to be precise, I think),
but it is the case that not very many people run on this hardware anymore,
and the code isn't necessarily tested thoroughlt as a result.

As a side note, I too have a 3000/400 that I used to update quite regularly,
but have not been able to do so recently.  Sigh, maybe it's time I find some
space in the lab to set it up again.