Subject: Ok, I give... HELP! Please?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/07/1999 21:55:40
	Right, I know when to scream for help. Here's the setup.

	DEC 3000/600 Alpha system, latest SRM and console firmware installed via
an update CD purchased direct from DECompaq. 128MB RAM, RZ26L 1 gig SCSI
drive, PMAGC-BA frame buffer, and a VT420 tied to the console serial port
so I can get to the system after it boots.

	Attempting to install NetBSD 1.4 from one of the CDs put out by Bob
Nestor. It goes through its initial boot no problem, but I'm seeing some
disturbing errors listed on the serial console, and I'm unable to access
the hard drive to disklabel it.

	I'll list the errors one at a time. First up:

AMD 79c30 at ioasic0 offset 0x240000 device not configured

	(My question here: Huh? I thought the onboard ethernet port was fully
supported?!)

	Here's the one that really concerns me. The hard drive is dka300, and
here's what I get when NetBSD's SCSI probe tries to pick it up.

probe(asc0:3:0): max sync rate 5.00Mb/s
asc0: illegal command: 0x42 (state 2, phase 3, prephase 1)
asc0: SCSI bus reset

	This one repeats once more, then it moves on to the CD-ROM at asc:0:4:0
(dka400). The disturbing thing is that I get the exact same error about an
illegal command when it probes the CD-ROM as well.

device PMAGC-BA at tc0 slot 5 offset 0x0 not configured

	(I almost expected this. It is my understanding that the accelerated frame
buffers are not yet supported).

scc1,0: silo overflow

	(In a word: Huh?)

	Perhaps the most disturbing message of all:

WARNING: Can't figure out what device matches "SCSI 0 6 0 0 400 0 FLAMG-IO"

	Again... Huh?

	Can anyone tell me what in blazes is going on here? I thought the
1.4/Alpha port was DEVELOPED on a 3000/600. Have I got too much RAM or what?

	Thanks in advance.

Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho, Blue Feather Technologies
http://www.bluefeathertech.com  // E-mail: kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com
Amateur Radio: WD6EOS since Dec. '77
"Our science can only describe an object, event, or living thing in our
own human terms. It cannot, in any way, define any of them..."