Subject: Zoom. Now what? :)
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/02/1999 00:01:28
So, I finally got an Alpha running.  So.  I have this fast box.  Before I
spend months connecting and disconnecting hardware, I'm wondering if there's
any general pattern to which devices will work on an Alpha, and which won't.
For instance, my cheapo ethernet cards don't seem to probe, but my 3Com does.

I've noticed that some options I'm used to seeing on are off in GENERIC,
such as kernfs and procfs.  Do these have problems, or are they just not
useful to Alpha users?  :)

This is all pretty new to me.  Currently, I've got a scratch install on an
EIDE drive, but I'm hoping to eventually beef the machine up a little.

BTW, just a data point:  My PC164 and my PII-333 count to 1 billion in almost
exactly the same amount of time with 'cc -O'.

-s