Subject: Displays for NetBSD on Alphas
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/28/1999 00:54:21
I just scanned the supported hardware list and didn't find any section
on which display cards worked.  It was a quick scan so I could easily
have missed something.

I think a list of cards that are known to work and/or known not to
work would be useful.

-----

I have a Miata with:
  tga0 at pci0 slot 11
  tga0: depth 8, map size 2MB, 1024x768
  tga0: ZLXp2-E, Revision: 34
(That printout is from Tru64 Unix)

NetBSD 1.4 crashes early in the startup when I boot from the install
floppy.  I'll get more info if anybody wants it - but mostly all
I've seen is that the brown stuff has hit the fan.

If a PR will help anybody keep track of things I'll send one in.

I don't expect anybody to make that card work.  It would be nice
if it didn't crash.

-----

.../Ports/alpha/models.html doesn't say anything about the Miatas.

If anybody is working on that page, I think it is important to understand
that there are at least 2 significant versions of the "Miata" (Personal
Workstation) machines - "a" vs "au".  I think the "a" systems come
with IDE disks.  (I haven't worked with one, but I think I saw a
recent message indicating that it worked.)  The "au" systems have
SCSI disks.

Ports/alpha/index.html says that the "au" systems are supported in
1.4.  It doesn't mention the "a" systems.