Subject: Re: axppci y2k?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/26/1999 10:38:28
>>> Yes!  And I thought I was the only one.
>> Tru64 UNIX (formerly Digital UNIX (formerly DEC OSF/1)) stores the
>> date/time in a different format in the clock NVRAM than does NetBSD.
>
>How is this relevant, considering that the hardware in question has
>*never* run OSF/1, Digital UNIX, or Tru64 UNIX, as far as I know?  Most
>certainly not since the console code was switched from ARC to SRM;
>since that point, nothing but NetBSD has ever been booted on it.  (This
>is a serious question, not a challenge - I recognize that my wording
>could be (mis)read as being challenging.)

I read into the response that when you upgraded to the latest SRM, that new
SRM is set up to the new spec, so your NVRAM/PRAM/CMOS/whatever then has
the format that NetBSD doesn't recognize. Since SRM is actually written for
the purpose of booting DU/True64 (Digital/Compaq don't care about NetBSD
when they have their own unix), it would be set up for that. Berndy
mentioned that he had upgraded the SRM. Had you done this also?

Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.