Subject: U2W disk with Symbios 8750 boot problems revisited
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Czeranski <jc@joerch.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/20/1999 18:51:15
Hi,
here I am again with my PC164, Symbios 8750 8bit Ultra SCSI host
adapter, and IBM DDRS U2W disk.

Summary so far: The SRM console and Dec Unix 4.0E recognize the
disk and can boot from it.  Neither the NetBSD-1.3.3 kernel nor
NetBSD-1.4 can boot if the disk is present.

I installed 1.3.3 on on IDE disk before I bought the SCSI disk and
host adapter.  The workaround was easy: unplug the disk, boot 1.3.3
from IDE, compile a kernel with "options SCSI_NCR_MAX_WIDE=0", halt,
plug the disk in, boot the new kernel.  I can use the disk as sd0
(SCSI ID is 0 too).

I want to install 1.4 on the SCSI disk without damaging the 1.3.3
installation and that's rather tricky.

I finally managed to build a bootable 1.4 install kernel though:
I got the syssrc.tgz of 1.4, built the config tool, added
"options SCSI_NCR_MAX_WIDE=0" to arch/alpha/conf/INSTALL, tried to build
that kernel.  That failed to build the "ENI PCI ATM (untested)" driver,
it complained about %b in a printf format string.  I removed the driver
from the conf/INSTALL, tried again and it worked.

Then I dd'ed the memory disk image from
alpha/installation/instkernel/netbsd.gz and added it to the new kernel
with mdsetimage.  I put the kernel and /boot on the SCSI disk, used
installboot, and was able to boot the kernel from SRM.

I'll install 1.4 on the disk next week.

I'd still prefer to know if that's a bug (or a missing feature) in NetBSD's
NCR driver and if it can be fixed. :-)

joerch