Subject: Re: poor network performance on de0's on 21164's.
To: None <mts@off.to>
From: Hal Murray <murray@pa.dec.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/09/1999 20:57:33
> I have two of the alpha's isolted on a 100Mb switch, with
> the switched foreced into FDX for its ports.

> alpha1# cat /etc/ifconfig.de0

> Can someone explain to my what's wrong?

Sorry I didn't speak up sooner...

I thought it was well known that Tulips didn't work in full duplex
mode, at least at 100 megabits.  This should get added to the supported
hardware lists and such.

This is not an Alpha-only problem.  It happens on Intel boxes too.
(It also happens on FreeBSD - same driver.)

I've had good luck with Intel 82558 cards (fxp).

Can anybody confirm that older versions of the Tulip (21140?) work
at 100/full?  If so, that might give somebody a good hint to track
this down.