Subject: Re: multia Qs
To: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/08/1999 16:10:01
> >  > 2. When I reboot or halt (at least, after a floppy boot), I get dumped
> >  >    into a low-level monitor mode.  Is this abnormal?  What can I do to
> >  >    avoid that?  What can I do, once I'm there, to reset/reboot the
> >  >    machine (other than walking around to the machine and cycling power)?
>
> What's the prompt?  The NetBSD/alpha faq does give some basic info
> on SRM usage, if that's where you are...and it is programmable for
> action on power up. (``>>>set auto_action boot'', IIRC)

There is no prompt.  It starts with "halted CPU 0" followed by an access
violation fault, register dumps, and ends with:
0012FF08! BPT

If I type numbers here, I get them back.  If I type control characters,
I get "Eh?".  I haven't played with it too much...

The thing is now giving me the following sometimes:
*** Hard Error - Error #48 - PKE:
 while connected to pka0.0.0.6.0, dsps = 104

Diagnostic Name        ID             Device  Pass  Test  Hard/Soft 8-JUL-2019
pka0_poll        00000008                        0     0     1    0 11:54:15

*** End of Error ***
[ also #52 'bad interrupt', #41 'command timeout', #40 'failed to send',
  #30, 'failed to send command' ]

I don't think this is connected, as it looks like purely a SCSI thing.
Does "Multia heat death" affect SCSI, or just cause the machine checks?

-allen