Subject: Re: multia Qs
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
From: Juergen Weiss <weiss@Uni-Mainz.DE>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/08/1999 20:30:35
Allen Briggs writes:

 > 2. When I reboot or halt (at least, after a floppy boot), I get dumped
 >    into a low-level monitor mode.  Is this abnormal?  What can I do to
 >    avoid that?  What can I do, once I'm there, to reset/reboot the
 >    machine (other than walking around to the machine and cycling power)?

This problem does not occur with the workstation console. When you
commented out the following makeoptions line in NetBSD 1.3 with
serial console,

# set kernel load address a bit higher to allow kernel to be netbooted.
# if not netbooting, the "makeoptions LOADADDRESS" line can be commented
# out to save a fair chunk (~850k) of RAM.
makeoptions     LOADADDRESS="fffffc0000300000"

the result was similar. But I think in NetBSD 1.4, the
load address is always 0xfffffc0000300000 ?!

So I cannot offer a solution.

Jürgen Weiß

--
Juergen Weiss		| Universitaet Mainz, Zentrum f"ur Datenverarbeitung,
weiss@uni-mainz.de      | 55099 Mainz, Tel: 06131/39-6361, FAX: 06131/39-6407