Subject: Re: dec 3000 problem
To: None <tobi@physcip.uni-stuttgart.de>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/03/1999 23:07:43
On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 01:07:16AM +0200, Tobias Ernst wrote:
> Hallo!
>
> Today I tried to install NetBSD 1.4 on one of our DEC 3000 workstations. The
> one I was trying has a SCSI floppy disk (!), so booting from floppies seemed
> the natural version. The system read the NetBSD boot floppies flawlessly and
> loaded the kernel without problems.
>
> scc0 at ioasci0 offset 0x100000
>
> What would you suggest me to do? If it is the firmware, which one should I use,
> and where can I get it? If it is the ISDN thing, how can I stop the kernel from
> probing this particular deivce? Any other guesses?

Can't speak to the firmware issue, except to say maybe you could get
a second chip so you could swap out the current one, and know that
going back to it would work?

As for the probe, someone could build you a custom kernel without that
device in it. Is there a boot-tiny available? It might not have that
device in it.

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,