Subject: Re: Incorrect information on www.netbsd.org
To: Torbjorn Granlund <tege@swox.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/16/1999 14:16:19
On 16 Jun 1999 22:24:44 +0200
 Torbjorn Granlund <tege@swox.com> wrote:

 > Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes:
 >
 >   Ok, so having just done a search, I see your NetBSD/alpha bug was reported
 >   in the "kern" category.  For the record, Alpha bugs belong in the
 >   "port-alpha" category.
 >
 > OK.  What belongs to kern then?

Stuff that is MI ... the errors you were getting seem to be pretty
Alpha-specific.

 >   Machine Check vector 0x660 is often some sort of hardware failure.  But
 >   in order to find out what really happened, we need to decode some
 >   info that is ... not documented very well.
 >
 > Three machines fail in the same manner, but run other NetBSD versions and
 > other OS'es OK.
 >
 >   If I add some code to do this, and make a new boot floppy, would you
 >   be willing to test it?
 >
 > I'll test that if it will help fix the bug.  But let's exclude hardware
 > failure given that I get the same failure with 3 different machines.

The initial change won't be to fix the bug, but rather to find out
precisely what is happening.  Decoding the "logout frame" will dump
out a large amount of information, which you will then need to e-mail
to port-alpha (or append to the bug report).