Subject: Re: serial console problem
To: Edwin Foo <efoo@crl.dec.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/16/1999 11:13:21
Edwin Foo <efoo@crl.dec.com> writes:
> Here's a little example, of what I mean:
> console                 serial
> (boot dka0.0.0.5.0)
> block 0 of dka0.0.0.5.0 is a valid boot block
> reading 14 blocks from dka0.0.0.5.0
> bootstrap code read in
> base = 1de000, image_start = 0, image_bytes = 1c00
> initializing HWRPB at 2000
> initializing page table at 1d0000
> initializing machine state
> setting affinity to the primary CPU
> jumping to bootstrap code
>
> And then it just sits there. =) I can tell that the box booted -- I can
> ping, telnet to it, etc., but the console doesn't show a darn thing, and
> since I have no user accounts besides root right now, I can't get in to
> change anything.

That's ... really odd.

One of the first thing the boot blocks do is use the SRM callbacks to
open up the console device that SRM names in the HWRPB.  That, and the
fact that you indicate that when you "init" you see no more output
makes me think this is a SRM problem.

What kind of board is it that you have?  What firmware version?  Have
you changed other firmware parameters, or the firmware itself, recently?

cgd