Subject: Re: Incorrect information on www.netbsd.org
To: Torbjorn Granlund <tege@swox.com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/16/1999 09:05:10
> NetBSD no longer works on important machines, but www.netbsd.org
> claims otherwise.

I guess none of my machines must be "important", then.  I'm running 1.4
on a 486DLC, a SPARCstation 1+, and an AlphaPC164LX.  Amusingly in view
of your picking the Alpha as one of the systems to complain about, the
Alpha is the stablest of the three.

> My and other people's bug reports are silently ignored.

It happens.  I've even had one of mine incorrectly closed by someone
who glanced at it and missed a critical bit of info, tried something
based on the subject rather than the "how to reproduce", saw no
problem, and concluded no problem existed.  (The underlying bug never
was fixed; it's still in 1.4.  Someday perhaps I'll try to convince
enough people that it *is* a bug to get a fix committed.)

NetBSD is user-supported.  User.  That means *you too*...as I've been
told on a couple of occasions when I've started, basically, feeling
that NetBSD-qua-NetBSD had some kind of responsibility towards me.

If you'd care to send me the PR numbers, I can have a look and see if
any of them are anything I have any clue about.  I don't know the
MacPPC, but I have some minor degree of clue wrt the Alpha, and may be
able to help with MI things.

> NetBSD 1.4 is the first NetBSD release I have come across that has
> caused me any problems whatsoever.

I'm sorry to hear that.  It has some things I don't like too.  But your
claim that it flatly "no longer works" does not match my experience.
As I said, send me the PR numbers and I may be able to help.  (Note
that I also may not; in particular, I can't debug a problem I can't
reproduce, and until I try I can't tell whether yours are such.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca