Subject: Re: Old DEC software
To: NetBSD/pmax Discussion List <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: David Burren <davidb@osa.com.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/10/1999 09:57:42
"Greg A. Woods" wrote:

> I have some DECserver 90TLs and a 900TM (hooked to a big DEChub900
> multiswitch backplane, along with associated ethernet switches, hubs,
> concentrators, etc.), which do speak TCP/IP, and I do have DECserver
> NAS-v2.2 that does run on them, but do not have FLASH ROMs (though the
> 900TM has a PCMCIA slot for one) and as a result they make very poor
> (almost useless) terminal servers because they need a running host to
> boot from.  I'd been hoping to get rid of all of the screens on *all* of
> my servers, but unless I can find a compatible FLASH card for the 900TM
> I'll have to keep a head on at least one of the Unix servers....
>
> Actually I'm still looking for compatible 4MB SIMMs (1MBx36 bit quad
> CAS, 9 chips, 80ns, DEC Part # 4A-MS40-WB A01, aka DEC 20-41141-05, aka
> SAMSUNG, KMM5361000B2G-8 9347 SEC) to upgrade some of the 90TLs too.

When I upgraded my DS700 I talked to a RAM supplier and read out the
Samsung numbers from some DEC parts I had available, and they identified
them as a standard 72-pin PC SIMM.  However, now I can't recall _which_
standard...  Sorry.

The tricky thing with the 90TL is the problem of physical space.  The
SIMMs from the 700 won't fit in, but only due to the location of the
socket, the surrounding chips, and the proximity of the case.  I think
the DS90 SIMMs only have chips on one side, for a start.

If you can get someone to open up a 90M and identify its SIMM (I think
they use the same type) you might be onto a winner.
__
David Burren