Subject: Re: LLSC MEM test?
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/08/1999 19:29:17
As Chris G. Demetriou wrote ...
> > T-STS-MEM - LLSC Test: Addr 00800000 FWD Wr 00000000
> > ? T-ERR-MEM - stl_c bcache miss with victim at Addr: 00d91bb8
> > T-STS-MEM - Uncorrected Error count = 1
> > ? T-ERR-MEM - FAILED status = 20 test Init addr = 00d91bb8
> > ?? 810       MEM 0x0020
> > [ ... ]
> > So, what is actually failing here?  Note: that this DEC3000/300LX also
> > fails the CXT test with what appears to be a stuck-at fault in the
> > framebuffer RAM.  Is there some other RAM that's failing in the LLSC
> > test other than the on-board SIMMs?  If so, is it on the CPU card, or
> > the mainboard?
>
> So, I don't have much insight into what exactly the test is doing, but
> it mentiones the 'bcache', i.e. the 'backup cache', DEC's name for the
> secondary cache on those boxes.
>
> The fact that i mentiones that makes me think there's something wrong
> with your cache...

In the meantime I got some info from our Alpha repair support engineer.
He proved to be in the US instead of one floor down from my office, but
this is what he wrote me based on his memory (he does not have access
to his paperwork from the US obviously):

" LLSC MEM test means: Load Locked Store Conditional MEMory test

Is the Lock memory test, that uses the locking mechanism of the Alpha CPU
itself (stl_c = store longword conditional). Looks to point to the CPU
itself.
"

Well, that is what I have to offer, I'm not familiar with the inner
workings of the Alpha CPU.

Hope this helps,

Wilko