Subject: Re: How to install netBSD on DEC3000 300LX without diskett device.
To: Rosbach, Hans A. <Hans.A.Rosbach@dnv.com>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/27/1999 07:37:59
On Thu, 27 May 1999, Rosbach, Hans A. wrote:

> that is a legal option.  Unix is not.)  I would like to install NetBSD.
> At
> least initially that will be as a dual boot.  I think at least one more
> of us
> want that.
>
> Have anyone on this list managed to use VMS to create the boot-disk for
> NetBSD?  In that case I would be grateful for some pointers.

  I was able to install NetBSD on a 5000/400 several months ago using VMS.
I had been trying to netboot it, but the console firmware wasn't
cooperating at the time.  Since the machine already had OpenVMS installed,
I just used OpenVMS to copy the cdhdtape image to a second disk.  I think
the command I used was something like:  '$COPY CDHDTAPE. DKA500:'.  Then
I was able to boot the install kernel from the second disk.

Michael
---
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant