Subject: Re: bootable scsi cards
To: Brook Milligan <brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu>
From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/22/1999 17:29:45
As Brook Milligan wrote ...
> I understand that the SRM firmware will boot from NCR/Symbios
> 53c8XX-based SCSI cards.  Does this mean that _any_ such card will
> work?  For example, will either LSI Logic or Koutech boards work?  Is
> it only the chip that matters or does the identity of the board also
> matter?  Any recommendations?

I've had it work just fine with a $40 Taiwan clone board. Remember the
NCR810 based boards don't contain much electronics besides the actual
NCR810 chip itself so there is not a lot of variation. In my case the
original DEC card (KZPAA) has an active terminator chip instead of the
resistor networks the Taiwan clone has.

BTW: I managed to convert a bunch of the tiny Multia riser cards containing
an NCR810 chip into a board that works as an ordinary PCI card. It's a bit
of a hack that involves some etch cuts and adding 4 wires. But it works.

Wilko