Subject: Re: Binary emulation
To: Sergey Svishchev <svs@ropnet.ru>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/03/1999 22:33:48
Sergey Svishchev <svs@ropnet.ru> writes:
> I'm not yet running NetBSD/alpha, but will probably be if one particular
> application runs on it; it is General Mesh Viewer, available from
> <URL:http://www-xdiv.lanl.gov/XCM/gmv/GMVHome.html> in binary form only.
>
> There are Digital UNIX (decMesa) and Linux/alpha (AlinuxMesa) binaries
> available.  Could someone check if either of these runs?

I dunno about the Linux binary, but re: the DU binary:

It doesn't function on the upcoming 1.4 release; in 1.4 the OSF/1
compatibility code is in ... sad shape.

It does function in post-1.4 NetBSD-current (which will be made
accessible after 1.4 is released), and I'm going to do my best to get
the updated OSF/1 compatibility code into 1.4.1.

I'll test it some more tomorrow, but it seems to display some things
when presented with the test input in the tar file I grabbed.  (I was
only able to test it via remote X display... over a 28.8 modem link.
That ... hurt but wasn't as bad as netscape!  8-)

Do you have some more 'interesting' input files to look at, that would
make a better test?

cgd